Can I Get Braces As An Adult?
Posted by DR. MITBAVKAR on Sep 6 2021, 08:39 AM
Do you think that adolescence is the only age to get your braces done? Not so. You can get your braces as an adult, too. Let's discuss the reasons to get it done even as an adult.
Reasons to Get Your Braces as an Adult
Millions of adults have opted for braces since it provides multiple benefits.
- There is an alternative to braces: Invisalign. If you are uncomfortable with braces and feel shy to smile in public gatherings, you can choose to have Invisalign instead. It is invisible in your teeth and works similarly to braces.
- As a person ages, the shape of their mouth and jaw also changes. It leads the jawbone to lose its density and become misaligned. Therefore, you can have braces to help treat crooked or crowded teeth and enhance your smile. You will be surprised to know that most of the patients who acquire braces are 50 years and above since they feel oral discomfort.
- The average time for adults to wear braces is from 18 to 26 months. The time you are required to wear braces entirely depends upon the type of braces you choose and other factors. Thus, it is highly effective to get braces as an adult.
- Straight teeth signify health and attractiveness. It helps you to gain confidence in yourself and allows you to smile freely in front of people. Hence, for your needs, adult braces are an ideal solution.
- Braces are not that much more expensive than other treatments. Thus, you can acquire braces as if you are having treatments for any other dental problem like tooth decay or speech improvement.
Things to Keep in Mind While Getting Braces as an Adult
It is relatively significant to maintain appropriate oral hygiene while having braces as an adult. Here are some tips:
- Brush your teeth after you had your meal or snack. Also, brush your teeth at the gum line and below the bracket to reduce plaque accumulation between the teeth and braces.
- If you do not have time to brush your teeth, rinse your mouth correctly to avoid accumulation.
- When you have braces, your teeth require more attention. Taking proper care of your teeth will prevent them from decay, discoloration, and gum disease. Thus, look for the food you eat and visit your dentist every week to get it right.
You can get braces as an adult. It is as effective as it would have been had you gotten it done during your adolescence.
UniSmile Dental offers dental braces and other teeth alignment treatments in San Jose, CA. For more information and appointments, call us at (408) 226-1600, book online, or visit us at 6134 Camino Verde Drive, Suite G, San Jose, CA 95119.